Mushroom Preserve

I think I’m going to call this little scene finished.

I experimented with my mushroom building process (that was useful), I tried adding some leaf litter (useful trial, but I’m going to keep working on it), and I failed, in my judgement, with the larger plants. I’ll keep working on that one. Continue reading “Mushroom Preserve”

Forest Scene

I’ve been making a little scene to practice some scenic elements and attempt to replicate some of the cool stuff my little buddy & I have been finding in the woods lately.  I could easily add a figure here, but I don’t plan to.  These scenic vignettes are intended as quiet little places to retire to when you can’t get away from your desk.

A forest scene that could be used as a base for a mini, but won't be!

I have built these little Nature scenes before and always given them away as gifts. I want one for my desk at school, but I also have a recipient in mind. I’ll probably give it away. Continue reading “Forest Scene”

Another Vignette

I’ve been having fun with the scenic pieces lately, so I’ll at least keep an iron in that fire for a while. I’ve started a new scene.

The black square on the bottom is the 2″x2″ block I have used most often on display pieces of all kinds. Around that you can see the footprint and, more importantly, the hole of the little frame. It’s a bigger space than the block, but it’s still tiny.

The new scene will be built in an 8″x5″ frame. The hole is considerably smaller than that, but it’s the biggest non-gaming terrain I’ve done.

The little rises & undulations are created with Milliput. Once they’re dry, I gave the whole thing a complete covering of non-fancy dirt onto a thickish coating of wood glue. After it gets a bit tacky, I knock most of the ‘larger’ rocks down into the depression, where they would collect. As that dries, I’ll shake off lose bits, glue it down, and repeat for a few cycles.

With the Milliput I’ve run a trough from one corner to the opposite. Hypotenusing (a term used by a friend to describe a person’s taking up the whole bed) in this way will set up some really nice lines of sight for the viewer. Hopefully I can effectively ‘frame’ those views visually.

Edge of the Trail

V 1.1.jpg

I did a bit more work on this and think it may be nearing completion.  I added some taller red flowers and increased the density of them in some places.  They’re also back behind the log, along with a bunch of laser cut leaves.  You can see a few of the leaves here.  They’re not really to scale, but we can assume they’re from some bush or something.

The frame is only cleaned up in primer, so I’ll go over that with black craft paint when I get some.  I won’t see my mom for a few weeks, so I’ll have plenty of opportunity to add or alter things, but I’m pretty happy with where this sits now.

I was trying  to focus the photo on the pale blue butterfly, but it’s too tiny for my camera or something.  Anyway, she’s up on the branch getting a lot of attention now.