I have more progress to share with you on Cormac. I’ve been able to paint nearly every day recently, often for nice stretches, and I’ve built up good momentum as I’ve worked through most of the major areas on the mini. Still a lot of work remains, though, as the details will require care to do justice to the sculpt and my vision for it.
Textures have always been an important part of the way I paint, and I hope I’m achieving finer and more interesting material effects now than ever before. Certainly as I strive to fulfill the artistic course I’m charting, I want to incorporate the continued and conspicuous use of textures in my work.
It’s been sheer joy painting Lucas Pina’s Cormac bust (Black Crow). Every pose and gesture is super expressive, and the face shines with humanity. It’s my first time painting one of Lucas’s sculpts, but it will definitely not be my last.
I’m daydreaming of painting Cormac when I’m at work, eager to explore his character and effects. I have a clear plan of how I’ll handle the various textures, but the spirit of discovery will guide my brush.
I’ve gotten in the habit in recent months of mostly showing finished minis around ToadChapel, and I figured it might be fun to work through my next project with more of a log running. My next model is Cormac, a classic bust from Black Crow Miniatures that has been painted well in a variety of styles.
I’m hoping to bring to this project a clear aesthetic direction and the patience to see it through. I’ve been thinking a great deal about what I want my figures to look like, what my style is, and I intend to apply the fruits of that reflection to this model.
I was getting a little tired of painting space marines (my tolerance isn’t that high!), so I reached into my box of models and pulled out the Rogue Robot by Trovarion Miniatures. I was attracted to the variety of materials and textures and the interesting mix of familiar and fantastical elements.
This is a WIP shot, with substantial development still to come.
I finally finished off the kobold from Blacksmith Miniatures. I only needed to iron out a few details on the basing and give him a pipe to smoke, but it took a few weeks to actually finish the job. Here are some shots of the finished project.