I’m almost finished with my little Roman tavern diorama. It’s been fun, if challenging at times. I’ve had a hard time streamlining the process to the bare minimum I’ll accept from myself, but I’m trying to produce a high (enough) quality piece with techniques and time investment I could reasonably expect from my teenage Latin students.
This is the diorama mostly completed. There are two 28mm figures, hopefully telling a simple and amusing story.
Here are the beginnings of a little tavern or popina somewhere in the Roman Empire.
The tile inside the shop, the plaster wall facing the street, and the sidewalk and cobblestone roadway are carved & textured out of styrofoam. The roof is layered corrugated paper. There’s a little wood & plastic card for structure. Everything is held in place with wood glue and super glue. The building surface is 4″x4″. Everything is to 28mm scale.
I’ve found time here and there to complete another little vignette. This one features a dead tree, which I haven’t done in a while. As usual, this one is a kind of lesson to be applied in basing minis, as well as a little imaginative refuge in its own right.
Once again ToadChapel welcomes the über-creative Lee Hebblethwaite, aka 10Ball. In this tutorial 10Ball walks us through a process he uses to create expressive scenic trees that enhance the composition of his miniature bases. As you can see from the image below, the results can be spectacular. The method itself, though, could even be applied to gaming terrain. Thanks 10!
There are many ways to create miniature trees. Using real tree roots or sculpting from scratch can be very effective, but I find using a wire ‘skeleton’ frame can create a realistic form quicker than sculpting and offers more control to fit the look of the scene than trying to find the correct piece of tree root. Continue reading “Scratchbuilding a Miniature Wire Tree”
I couldn’t quite decide on a project (there a couple in the early stages), so I started slapping some colors onto this librarian. I sort of dislike the color blue, but I’m going whole hog as 40k canon demands.
I’m pleased with the conversion, though I could have taken more time sculpting the robes to hide the seems between the arms (both from Tempestus Scions) and the marine librarian body.