Painting Maulg was a serious investment of time & effort, taking well over a month, and my OSL experiment mini bust, which I called ‘What Have We Done?’, was short but intense. I wanted a little palette cleanser while I waited for some models to arrive, so I pulled out this dinosaur I’ve had for years.
After many weeks of painting and modelling, my Maulg is finally finished.
I challenged myself a lot on this project but enjoyed the whole process. I definitely became more comfortable and confident with NMM and the broad use of stippling.
The base came together pretty readily, but still offered a lot of fun. Trying to capture the force of the wind with the rushes and the ribbon, hiding tiny mushrooms & flowers among the grass, and the creation of the rocks with Milliput all gave me a chance to create a rich and detailed environment. Great stuff.
I hope at some point we have some painting competitions. I’d love to show him! Even barring that, though, he gave me a great learning experience, a model I’m proud of, and many hours of sheer enjoyment.
Thanks for taking a look. Let me know what you think!
While trapped inside with my little family, I’ve been making steady progress on the little dwarf bust I showed you a few days ago. This disease that has shut our society down, and which will cause suffering worldwide for a long time to come, does invite reflection, appreciation, and maintenance of the self. I’m thankful I have something creative to pour my efforts into in these strange and frightful times. I can say that I have enjoyed this project in a way I have never felt before.
I got the idea for the russet beard from a friend of mine. I would not have thought of that option myself.
ToadChapel’s good friend Lee Hebblethwaite, aka 10Ball, returnswith another tutorial that will give you a glimpse into how he achieved a stunning, unearthly effect on the skin of his recent Shaetann bust. Trust me, you don’t want to miss this one!
I’ve had quite a response to my latest project, Shaetann (by Raul Garcia Latorre), which is lovely to hear, and it’s always a bonus when people ask how I’ve gone about certain aspects of a miniature. So in response to a number of requests about the bust’s unusual skintones here’s a small write up on my approach and my thoughts about painting it.
Read on for a breakdown of how you can pull off this incredible effect.
I’ve been slow to really get underway on the figure to complete my mushroom wonderland, but I’ve finally got enough painting done to show you a few WIP shots. The scene will feature a sweet old lady hunting for tasty mushrumps.
I’ve been more interested in peaceful, everyday, human scenes in my miniature painting for a while, which can be challenging to pursue, since the vast majority of figures are either fighting or looking as if they’re about to.
I’ve successfully added to my diorama again, this time adding a lower class woman out shopping for food. I needed another, more typical Roman woman to complement the senator’s ostentatious wife, so this one is wearing a simple undied wool tunic while she visits the market.
She’s removing her hood to see what all the fuss is about behind her. In her basket she carries a small loaf of bread, a sausage, and an apple. I’m planning to add another item, maybe a pomegranate or a quince, which has fallen onto the street.