I finally finished off the kobold from Blacksmith Miniatures. I only needed to iron out a few details on the basing and give him a pipe to smoke, but it took a few weeks to actually finish the job. Here are some shots of the finished project.
After a delightful break from all mini related activity, which involved several days in the woods with my family, I’m back at this kobold (whom everyone calls a leprechaun) and starting to think about wrapping up the painting.
Here is where he stands now, needing gold NMM buttons, buckles, and bits and the inevitable tidying up before I move on to basing him.
While trapped inside with my little family, I’ve been making steady progress on the little dwarf bust I showed you a few days ago. This disease that has shut our society down, and which will cause suffering worldwide for a long time to come, does invite reflection, appreciation, and maintenance of the self. I’m thankful I have something creative to pour my efforts into in these strange and frightful times. I can say that I have enjoyed this project in a way I have never felt before.
I got the idea for the russet beard from a friend of mine. I would not have thought of that option myself.
There are a few poisonous fungi in these woods, but Granny knows what’s good and what’s not.
My plan is to add a few animals to complete the scene, but I’m basically done with this fun project at last. Don’t forget to check out the tutorial on sculpting the mushrooms I have scattered throughout this diorama.
I’ve been slow to really get underway on the figure to complete my mushroom wonderland, but I’ve finally got enough painting done to show you a few WIP shots. The scene will feature a sweet old lady hunting for tasty mushrumps.
I’ve been more interested in peaceful, everyday, human scenes in my miniature painting for a while, which can be challenging to pursue, since the vast majority of figures are either fighting or looking as if they’re about to.
I think I’ve finished up the setting for my next mini creation. It’s a forest scene packed with all sorts of mushrooms. There’s a figure still to come, but I wanted this piece to stand without one.
There were plenty of challenges. Leaves that can’t effectively be bent, rolled, or twisted. Various media fighting each other. Frustratingly slow drying times!
There’s plenty I’d like to improve or change, but I’m very happy overall. The turkeytails and lichens are the best I’ve done. The effect of the leaves in the water looks cool. And the logs are real good to my eye. So yeah, a nice little piece of modeling, I think.
Read on for a tour of the various mushrooms and other woodsy stuff!
I pointed out in a few recent posts that I often draw the same natural objects. I should have mentioned that I model them, too! Here is a sneak peek at a project I’ve been engaged in for a little while. I intend for it to serve several purposes.