Our good friend John Margiotta, aka BloodASMedium, is back with another tutorial covering one of his specialties. This time he’s opening the hood on his heavily rusted iron/steel. I love the physical texture he achieves with this additive approach.
These beauties – er, uglies – form the Clan of the Bleeding Eye. John is always cranking out amazing units, and these spire tyrants turned to the worship of Nurgle look like they’ll prove no exception.
Ok, here’s how to produce an ultra-heavy rust effect suitable whenever you want maximum corrosion.
Our pal g0rb is back with a smashing tutorial on the scratchbuilding and weathering of a space hulk-themed display platform for your miniatures. Chris is an ultra-creative and unorthodox hobbyist who always has something new to show us.
In this article I am going to show you the steps I took in scratchbuilding a weathered spaceship corridor interior. I used this kind of technique for the space ship corridor in my Space Hulk diorama.
Instead of a diorama base, I will be building a display platform. This platform can be used as a photography backdrop or to display finished models on. The steps used in construction and weathering can of course be applied to anything else that needs weathering.
I put the face on this guy and he’s all set but the Dullcote.
Like I said before, I wasn’t crazy about the scheme and I’m not 100% on the reivers in general, so I bashed him out quickly. Oddly, given my ambivalence, I’m pretty happy with him; I think it comes down to how quickly I finished him off. Now it’s time to test him in battle!
Another terminator joins the Dark Angels! This one recalls a victory over the forces of Nurgle decades ago.
I think the painting is a bit neater than on the first, identical termie. This one’s got a bit heavier weathering, though. I still have a detail or two to finish (zombie beard), but he’s basically ready to roll.
Unlike their heavily-converted or kitbashed peers, these figures came straight out of the Dark Vengeance box. These terminators were some of the first times I’ve used an airbrush for basecoating.
I’ve followed a straightforward and consistent method in painting the Dark Angels for my 40k Kill Team. This produces a uniform look to my squad, even though the individual members have been painted over many months. I’ve done my figures one-by-one, since they’re each kitbashed & converted to create a unique personality for each, but this painting process would work equally well for batch painting. Moreover, the steps I employ can be applied to any Space Marine chapter, or indeed any 40k army. In this process I paint full faces (yes, for my whole command roster) and carefully pick out the many details added through conversion, but much of the mini is painted quickly and easily in a very elementary manner. I find that by drawing attention to the most important and interesting elements on the miniature, the lack of careful blending or other advanced techniques is easily forgiven, especially on the tabletop. This approach also gives a great opportunity to practice important skills, like painting faces, before you tackle that Commander you really want to nail. Kill Team, with its limited roster, offers a perfect opportunity to go nuts on conversion, detailing, and faces, without actually painting models to a display standard.