Painting Maulg was a serious investment of time & effort, taking well over a month, and my OSL experiment mini bust, which I called ‘What Have We Done?’, was short but intense. I wanted a little palette cleanser while I waited for some models to arrive, so I pulled out this dinosaur I’ve had for years.
I got some nice feedback (thanks!) on the base of my recently completed Maulg figure and a request to explain how I put it together. I happened to take some pictures along the way (for some reason I was giving a friend an unsolicited play-by-play), so I’m able to offer a pretty detailed tutorial on various aspects of the construction & finishing. I’m also happy to share some of my principles, planning, and intention when doing bases and vignettes.
Our man BaM is back with another great tutorial. He paints minis all day every day, and he has refined his techniques over many years. One thing he’s mastered for sure is gritty true metallic metals. This time he’s walking us through the creation of a TMM suit of darkened steel armor on a chaos warrior.
Though my posting has been sparse, I’ve been getting a lot of time on the hobby bench lately. Progress on Maulg is steady, but there’s often not a lot to show for it, as I’m going very slowly and trying to paint as well as I possibly can. It’s intimidating to approach a figure this way, but liberating at the same time. To just recognize that you’ll aim for your absolute best, but that it’s still a learning exercise, that you’ll fail some things you try, and that it won’t be as good as you can perhaps imagine helps to explode hang-ups and open the doors to improvement.
Here’s my boy. He’s starting to look a little closer to finished, though there are still entire bits left to paint and some major adjustments still to come.
Using a very similar palette on all elements of his ‘clothing’ and ornaments posed a challenge, but I wanted to avoid drawing attention away from the face and other more important sections.
I’m taking feedback from a few sources, which has improved the quality of the painting already. Feel free to add your thoughts, too!
While trapped inside with my little family, I’ve been making steady progress on the little dwarf bust I showed you a few days ago. This disease that has shut our society down, and which will cause suffering worldwide for a long time to come, does invite reflection, appreciation, and maintenance of the self. I’m thankful I have something creative to pour my efforts into in these strange and frightful times. I can say that I have enjoyed this project in a way I have never felt before.
I got the idea for the russet beard from a friend of mine. I would not have thought of that option myself.
I’m going to try to buckle down and finish off this little bust from Lukáš Žaba. I started him a while ago but sort of lost steam. I think I succumbed to the paralysis that visits us when we fixate on how good, and how much better, every detail ought to be. I think I’m ready to just dive in, do my best, and move on the the next thing. If I have fun painting and learn a thing or two (which I already have), then he’ll be a success.
And since I’ve got nothing else to do, I’ve also got another 40k Kill Team project started!