Garden of Contemplation

I whipped up a quick scene for shots of my philosopher bums and others in the Garden of Contemplation.

Dip your brush into your coffee. This step is entirely optional. Try it and see if you like the results.

Basic colors applied. I used my cheap hobby paints and mixed them for a bit of variety on different stuff. Don’t be fussy about it. You actually want some crappiness, since the plaster is old, moldy, dilapidated, etc. Slap it on there, don’t aim for even coverage, and know that you can fix anything later if you hate it.

I wanted the fragment of the statue & the tree to be the key features, obviously, so I went for a pretty crazy marble texture. Lots of lines of greys & cool greens, followed by thin washes of grey to create depth. I’m mixing in gloss medium on some passes, but not all around.

Preliminary painting of the tree. On top of brown I’ve used a swampy yellow-green, highlighted with a light yellow-brown.

Washes on the wall. This is pretty over-the-top, I’ll admit! I used Secret Weapon Baby Poop, one of my favorites. It’s much more green than the website would have you believe.

Paint again after washes. The tree was highlighted up to cream colors, the ferns were picked out, and some definition added back onto the marble.

I forgot to take the picture before I began the moss, but you get the idea.

TOP TIP: Coolest part of the piece is the iridescent medium I’ve used, along with gloss medium, to create sparkle & shimmer within the layers of the marble. I love the stuff. You can get it cheap at an art store.

Ready for action!

~

If you need help with the basics, I’ve got a tutorial on dirt & grass here. Feel free to comment with any questions, etc.

~

T2: Another Deathwing Terminator

Another terminator joins the Dark Angels!  This one recalls a victory over the forces of Nurgle decades ago.

2.2

I think the painting is a bit neater than on the first, identical termie.  This one’s got a bit heavier weathering, though.  I still have a detail or two to finish (zombie beard), but he’s basically ready to roll.

Unlike their heavily-converted or kitbashed peers, these figures came straight out of the Dark Vengeance box.  These terminators were some of the first times I’ve used an airbrush for basecoating.

Dark Angels Painting Tutorial

The Dark Angels I’ve been painting recently have been a fun project, particularly as each model has been kitbashed and heavily converted to produce a unique personality for our 40k skirmish games.  I intend to work up some background lore, as well.

I want the kill team to look cohesive, so I have been following a systematic approach in painting similar units.  Here’s a tactical marine.

  1. Basecoat all major areas of the figure in pure, solid colors.  This includes the green, red, and black areas of the figure.  Metallics are painted.  The ground and things like skulls, ropes, leather get basecoated in brown.1
  2. Carefully wash the whole figure with Nuln Oil.  Some areas might only get a light glaze, while other areas might get dulled down to almost nothing.2
  3. Add back some of the color you’ve lost with the washes.  I start with the metallics.  Work mainly upon a few areas of visual focus.  I’m only ever highlighting the major volumes back up to a mid-tone, so the figure looks dark despite the presence of a very strong red color.  I am bringing the red back to an almost flat and uniform look, while ‘highlighting’ the green areas much more judiciously.3.jpg
  4. Pick out all the tiny details!  I love to hide tiny blossoms of vivid color on a figure, using colors that totally contradict the overall tight scheme of the unit.  I do my best to create as many different textures as I can.  Some things receive close attention, while other areas are only hinted at.  I intend for some areas of these models to jump out in vivid detail, while other areas fade into nothing and provide a frame for the personalizing details.4.jpg
  5. Paint the faces.  I’ve been painting most of these Dark Angels with repulsive pallid skintones.  I decided to paint this one a sort of greasy yellow-green.  The demon head ended up far darker than I had expected, but I like it.  I have a unit of bloodthirsters ready to paint, so I may re-use the scheme.5.jpg
  6. Paint the base.  I used Tamiya clear for the blood effect.F

We do not fear the monsters of the Warp!

~