I’ve been chipping away at my Dark Angels apothecary. The ivory and red sections have been brought back up after a heavy wash over almost everything, and the cape has been painted… although it’s tempting to put some freehand on there.
In my choice of colors, I’m trying to balance the light, healing, angelic aspect of the apothecary (he is the only model in the group with ivory armor) while also referring to his role as the ferryman and preserver of the gene seed.
I still have to do most of the doo-dads, the green armor, and the face.
I’ve been having fun with the scenic pieces lately, so I’ll at least keep an iron in that fire for a while. I’ve started a new scene.
The black square on the bottom is the 2″x2″ block I have used most often on display pieces of all kinds. Around that you can see the footprint and, more importantly, the hole of the little frame. It’s a bigger space than the block, but it’s still tiny.
The new scene will be built in an 8″x5″ frame. The hole is considerably smaller than that, but it’s the biggest non-gaming terrain I’ve done.
The little rises & undulations are created with Milliput. Once they’re dry, I gave the whole thing a complete covering of non-fancy dirt onto a thickish coating of wood glue. After it gets a bit tacky, I knock most of the ‘larger’ rocks down into the depression, where they would collect. As that dries, I’ll shake off lose bits, glue it down, and repeat for a few cycles.
With the Milliput I’ve run a trough from one corner to the opposite. Hypotenusing (a term used by a friend to describe a person’s taking up the whole bed) in this way will set up some really nice lines of sight for the viewer. Hopefully I can effectively ‘frame’ those views visually.
The addition of tiny flowers adds an element of realism and interest to a scene. I like to use flowers to unify a piece with color, add a personal or symbolic touch, or just push a piece a bit farther. Here’s one way I create flowers for my scenes. Continue reading “Miniature Flower Tutorial”
A ragtag collection of flops, fighters, and a fifteen year old wizzard, sworn to fight the Legions of the Dead.
But are they ready to defend this small village from the oncoming horde?
Here’s about 2.5 hours of work on a second group of heroes for Zombicide. I still need to do faces, bases, and details.
I did a bit more work on this and think it may be nearing completion. I added some taller red flowers and increased the density of them in some places. They’re also back behind the log, along with a bunch of laser cut leaves. You can see a few of the leaves here. They’re not really to scale, but we can assume they’re from some bush or something.
The frame is only cleaned up in primer, so I’ll go over that with black craft paint when I get some. I won’t see my mom for a few weeks, so I’ll have plenty of opportunity to add or alter things, but I’m pretty happy with where this sits now.
I was trying to focus the photo on the pale blue butterfly, but it’s too tiny for my camera or something. Anyway, she’s up on the branch getting a lot of attention now.
As I began to explore the hobby of miniature painting a few years ago, I particularly enjoyed the basing element of the process. I had been instantly attracted to the amazing and diverse bases of many different artists.
That interest led me to spend a good deal of my hobby time creating purely scenic pieces. I’ve done urban scenes as well, but here I’m making a wild little place as a gift for my mother.
I think these mini dioramas or vignettes work quite well if you hide a lot of tiny details for the viewer to find. They’re a very fun escape from conventional miniature painting. And of course, all one needs to make a ‘scene’ into a ‘base’ is a nice figure! I hope you find this tutorial helpful or motivational. Continue reading “Scenic Diorama & Vignette Tutorial”