I’ve finished the base for my dwarves in time for MFCA this weekend. The wooden plinth (something I picked up at a craft shop) is being stained. I’ll attach it when it’s dried.
I applied some subtle washes (some browns, green, and blue) to the rocks to give each of them a slightly different color from its neighbor.
I’d like to add a few mushrooms & flowers, maybe a touch of grass, but we’ll see if I have time between now and Thursday.
Here’s the gang on the road to adventure.
And here you can see how the wheel ruts on the base match those on the display base.
I’m heading to MFCA in Philadelphia next weekend and planning to show a few of the dwarves from ToadChapel. Here’s a display base I’m hoping to finish in time for the show.
Basic structure created with a mix of Super Sculpey & Super Sculpey Firm. I find the proper consistency is just about midway between the two. The standard consistency warms in your hands and won’t stand serious mushing around, while the firm is so stiff it tends to break when you handle it. Working it up into a usable consistency is enough to make your hands sore.
A little structure added with Milliput. Without distracting from the figures, I’m trying to suggest that something interesting lies just ahead.
Some basic paint applied. I’m repainting the base of the dwarf who’s in the road so she matches better, rather than trying to match the painting to her base.
This is a bit of a rush job, so hopefully some well-placed flock will cover up some of the rough patches.
Happy hobbies to you!
I’ve been working on a grand (by ToadChapel standards) home for the ambitious Herling.
I shall probably need to remove the door (🤞🏻) to properly paint the wood paneling and the goblin head knocker.
The house itself is human-sized, but Herling’s moved in as his political star has risen.
On that narrative point: I haven’t forgotten that I’m overdue for an update. I’m working on it!
I’ve slowly worked up a decent kill zone to fight some 100-200 point battles on.
This one fought me all the way, and I’m still not completely satisfied. My plan is to add some dead vegetation over the top to tie everything together.
I’ve added some fun details to give it some personality.
In any event, it should look good when we’re fighting it out in the far future. I can’t wait to get my first game on it!
Well here’s something mildly stupid.
I take no responsibility if you go cross-eyed doing this.
I survived by spreading the work (and it was work, which I try to avoid at all costs) over several sessions. I just used up leftover paint from other jobs as I tackle other projects.
I need to complete the roof and add some trim and this will be mercifully finished!
Will & I bashed out a load of graveyard terrain in two sessions this week. Probably 10-12 man-hours between us, but it went by fast as we were having fun listening to music and solving all the world’s problems.
This is the Sigmarite Mausoleum set, augmented by a church from Pegasus. I have a few details left to do on this (like the skulls around the statue), and we have a boatload of fences, gates, graves, etc to paint, but nevertheless we generated a ton of really nice terrain in what felt like very little time.
I highly recommend tackling this kind of project as a team, as it’s not overly fussy and you can negate the tedium by spending quality time with people you would want to hang out with anyway.
We’re looking forward to our first game battling over these spooky little chapels!
The village of ToadChapel needs some rock, soil, and life upon which to grow. Let’s learn how to make it.
In this tutorial I’m going to show you how to make a layer of basic forest earth that will work for your mini bases, terrain, gameboards, and dioramas. The environment of your figures plays an enormous role in setting a realistic and believable scene. Poor basing can easily spoil a good paintjob. Superior basing and terrain, though, can help even mediocre figures tell a compelling story on the tabletop. Continue reading “Let There Be Dirt: Modeling Earth for Your Minis & Terrain”