I’ve been slow to post the latest entry into my space marine project, but here he is in all his transhuman glory. Working my way around the color wheel from green took me into Ultramarine territory.
I feel like I learned a good deal on this fellow and improved in some respects over the green meanie.
Still, I encountered frustrations aplenty.
First, he simply seemed to take forever. While I appreciate that this means I got plenty of practice rendering blue shapes, etc, it sapped my motivation over the course of the project.
I also made some straight bonehead moves, from gloppy primer (you can see it on his left knee above) to superglue spills (left hand). Yeah, there’s no excuse, just some gaffes on my part. I suppose there’s a lesson there, and one best learned on a study model like this one.
I am really surprised by how challenging I’ve found these minis. While I’m not striving to create display pieces, I’m trying to practice the necessary skills (blending, edge highlighting, light placement, etc) at a high level so that I can apply them confidently to more ambitious projects.
I’m keeping this gang above my work desk to serve as a log of my technical development. I’ll be picking up the project periodically to stay sharp and refine my basic painting skills. If you’re looking for improvement in your brushwork, it’s an exercise worth undertaking.