Eldritch Elf: 5 XII 18

…I’m starting to feel like I’ve got to get a move on. This is a more involved project than I had initially imagined, and a new baby sure cuts into your hobby time!

Anyway, I’ve finished the subtractive surfacing of the wall. The glue held without difficulty and the frames gave me a much better frame of reference for cutting the bricks. Score.

I should have snapped a pic or two beforehand, but here I am with my two primary tools at this stage. I’m cutting bricks with the razor. I’m not measuring or using a ruler, everything is by hand. This will give an interesting (I think) Hans-drawn effect. The worst (little turd-looking) bricks you can just pop out later and they won’t stick out too much.

I use the corner of the ruler to define the ragged edge of the plaster and simultaneously begin to push the brick surface down, creating the impression that the plaster sits over top.

I’ve gouged our a few bricks, reinforcing the visual flow of the plaster. For the texture I’m building up on the plaster I use two excellent tools: the ruler & your thumb nail.

With these little details, DON’T be fussy or you will make things unnaturally regular. If you add damage slowly you can always do more, but you can’t take it off once it’s there.

Here’s a shot of how different tools will affect your final product. On the top the bricks are cut with a toothpick, on the bottom with a burnishing tool. I’m going to go with the more cartoony/fantastical/exaggerated bricks created with the burnishing tool.

Little tests like these can be really useful and often fun. Here I learned what a toothpick would do, and I could see applications for it in the future. Sometimes these little tests become tiny, stress-free projects in their own right.

We’ve got the bricks gapped out with the burnishing tool.

I’ve also bashed up the plaster with a rock, applying different pressure and using different faces & corners on different sections of the plaster.

Looking pretty good, but still a little sterile.

Using something small enough to fit but big enough to work, we push a bunch of bricks in to different depths, leaving a few all the way up.

Even though it looks pretty simple, there’s a lot of distinct surfaces, different texture, and stank on it. These will all help it take washes and other weathering effects well, and we’ll exploit them in painting as well.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s