I’ve been having fun with the scenic pieces lately, so I’ll at least keep an iron in that fire for a while. I’ve started a new scene.
The black square on the bottom is the 2″x2″ block I have used most often on display pieces of all kinds. Around that you can see the footprint and, more importantly, the hole of the little frame. It’s a bigger space than the block, but it’s still tiny.
The new scene will be built in an 8″x5″ frame. The hole is considerably smaller than that, but it’s the biggest non-gaming terrain I’ve done.
The little rises & undulations are created with Milliput. Once they’re dry, I gave the whole thing a complete covering of non-fancy dirt onto a thickish coating of wood glue. After it gets a bit tacky, I knock most of the ‘larger’ rocks down into the depression, where they would collect. As that dries, I’ll shake off lose bits, glue it down, and repeat for a few cycles.
With the Milliput I’ve run a trough from one corner to the opposite. Hypotenusing (a term used by a friend to describe a person’s taking up the whole bed) in this way will set up some really nice lines of sight for the viewer. Hopefully I can effectively ‘frame’ those views visually.